Wall tie size/type

9 Jun 2014
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I need a bit of help on which wall tie to use for my new extension which will be brick and block.

I want to fit 100mm solid insulation as well for better insulation purposes, so by wall is going to be 350mm wide. The cavity will be a50mm gap not including the 100mm insulation.

I was thinking about a 275mm tie such as this:


Have i got the correct size and are these ties ok?
Sponsored Links
If you are building this yourself I would use a full fill insulation:
100mm Kooltherm 0.18u with brick outer low density concrete inner.
150mm DriTherm 32 0.18u, 34 0.19, 37 0.21
Is the full fill the soft insulation ? Why would that be a better bet ?

I want to use a strong block for the inner as resting big oak purlins on there to support the flat roof construction. Is the low density block the higher newton one then ?
Sponsored Links
Yes, the cavity batts are easy to install also cheaper, unless you need a clear cavity due to location it's the way I would go.
You can get pretty much any block in 3 or 7 n, I would not use an acc block but a light wight block like a fibolite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local