Help needed with kitchen worktop!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently gutted our kitchen, replaced the ceiling, plastered and installed new kitchen units. We have now got stuck on what is the best way to fit the worktop. I have searched online but can only find advice in curved edge worktops (ours is a squared edge). We have an L-shaped kitchen so need to create a butt joint in the corner but are not sure how to join the two pieces. I'm not sure which tool is best to use for this job.
Please help with some advice!

Sponsored Links
you need to cleany and neatly remove the moulded edge
this is normaly achived by a masons mitre using a 1/2 inch router and 60mm worktop cutter using a jig

you can achive a reasonable finnish with a hand saw if you are extremly good with a hand saw at cutting a 45 degree cut and a strait edge along the post formed moulded edge!!!

the op says the edge of the worktop is square and a simple butt joint is required. remove any edging at the joint location using a stanley knife or fine saw and scraper. the other piece should have a square edge already, otherwise cut one with a circular saw and straight edge. (good face down and with a fine or at least sharp blade) joint them together with biscuits, worktop clamps or both.
if you want to take a shortcut - instead of biscuits and clamps -
screw the worktop firmly to the cabinets underneath and seal the joint with sealant.
you can also get aluminium T shaped extrusions (use sealant as well) for the purpose of hiding the joint.
in both of these case you could get away with a rougher cut using a jigsaw or hand saw.
don't get me wrong i would never do either of the above, but if you are short of tools and money it could be a quick fix.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you all for this information. We're determined to do it ourselves as it's the only way you learn! We should be attempting it this Sunday so if I get stuck I'll send another post!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back