1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed with UFH floor probe position

Discussion in 'Building' started by bobbidill, 12 Oct 2019.

1. bobbidill

bobbidill

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I haven't been able to find the answer to this question anywhere, including from a previous post, but time's running out as our flooring is being laid next week!
    We will have a floor probe running in a conduit, held in place by tile adhesive, in the channel cut into the screed. The channel and conduit are shown in the photo.
    My question is should the probe sit in the channel itself, or should it sit above the channel directly under the floor in the area I've marked with a circle and 'no adhesive' in the photo?
    Thank you!
    [​IMG]

2. Paul205

Paul205

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The conduit should sit in the groove and the top of the conduit should not be higher than the groove i.e the groove should be deep enough to hold the conduit. The probe then goes into the conduit to around the end of the conduit. I would run the conduit from the wall area along the whole length of the groove so that the probe essentially sits a good way from the wall

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. bobbidill

bobbidill

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Paul205, thank you. We'll run the conduit in the groove and leave the end of the probe poking out of it into the the end of the groove furthest from the wall. Is that correct? Do you know why we would not want the end of the probe lying above the groove with the engineered floor directly on top of it? Thanks again.

4. Paul205

Paul205

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OK, the probe slides into the conduit and the end of the probe should be at the end of the groove by the no adhesive text. The end of the probe doesnt have to make contact with the UFH as the heat radiates down to the probe. I believe the conduit is in place to ensure that if the probe fails you can withdraw the failed probe and pass a new one down the conduit. I would put some tape over the conduit at the end by the no adhesive text to prevent any adhesive flowing into the conduit and touching the probe

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Paul205

Paul205

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    hope that helps

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. bobbidill

bobbidill

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Paul205, it did help.

7. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Main thing, as I got it wrong, the probe should slide in and out of conduit. I made the bend too tight and the probe could not be removed and replaced without lifting tiles.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. bobbidill

bobbidill

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's a good tip, thanks ericmark.