UFH - Probe Positioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been looking at UFH mats for the bathroom and have a questions.

One of the ones mats I've looked at has the temprature probe in a 10mm tube that runs about 300mm from the wall.

Being able to replace a failed probe seems like a good idea but the bathroom is a rat's nest of central heating and hot water pipes running under the floor boards and placing the probe may be difficult with that restriction.

There seem to be types that allow a longer run but not in tubing so could be a pain to get at if they fail.

So how important is it to be able to easily replace the probe? Do they fail often?

Sponsored Links
Not in my experience - I've installed Warm Up many times in the past.

Why would pipes under the floor get in the way of the probe - surely this would be fitted above the sub-floor then screeded?

Hot pipes under the floor will give the probe a false temp reading. Fitting instructions give a minimum distance.

Sponsored Links
Only one of the mats I've been looking at advises not to place near a pipe and they are saying minimum 50cm.

Although only one of the instructions mentions it, it does seem reasonable to avoid central heating pipes even if half a metre does seem excessive.

Problem I've got is that options for placing the control box are limited and I'd struggle to have 5cm let alone 50. If the probe was extended how is the joint made? Could it go in a junction box so that the final run is accessible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back