Help Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
This is my 1st post, and I dont have a lot of info but ill try do describe my annoying, sometimes scary problem I have with my heaters.

My Heater system is a basic on/off system with a timer, there is no sperate control for the hot water only sp you always have to have the c/heating on turning the radiotors off (apart from one) in the summer and there is no thermostat , just a heater control on the boiler.
The boiler heats the water indirectly via a tank upstairs, connected near this tank is the circulating pump for the raditors.

now here is my issue, and please bear with me

When you first switch on the heating there is a loud sound of what i assume to be water gushing into the boiler, some of the raditors to will make noises of what I gather to be water rushing about in the system.

I have bled all the raditors, and this long pipe with a tap on the top near the pump wich my uncle who is a plumber said thats where you need to air gets trapped in there when you can bleed it out (sorry not very technical)
Back with the boiler you can hear water "dribbling" into the boiler

he said thats its not really a problem and its a old system that was hardly used before i got the house, and not to worry - he then turned up the boiler as i wasnt gettting a lot of heat out of the raditors. The front room would only go up to about 20c

However since he has done this, i know get a acceptble warm house (not as much as id like it to be but its better) however (this is the frigtnening bit) 2 times out of 5 when switching on the raditors, about 1 hour into it you can hear around the system what I gather to be water been forced all around the system the pump will be straining and "pulsing" ie forcing the water through, and also making this sort of grinding.sqeualing noise.

Some of the radiotors notably the kitchen one will go cold, and then you after a bit you can hear (what i sssume) to be the sound of water forced into the boiler followed by sometimes a thud? and a lot of "clicking" of pipes and then everything is ok and the pumps is quiet but it goes on for about 10-15min and it sounds like the whole thing is going to pop.

I didnt really want to call out my uncle again as he has kind of retired from plumbing now, and i kind of want a second opinion, so I have called another plumber recommened by a freind, but i would also like some advise before he gets here.

Sorry this is so long, any help is very welcomed, and If i can will try to help further

Sponsored Links
sounds like your system could do with a good cleaning out and up grading.
wall stat for your rads, cylinder stat for water and a desent programmer.

Hi - Thanks for the replys - is it easy to resolve?, and is it dangerous that i carry on using the heating like this, is this something i have to do straight away or can i get it through the winter

Sponsored Links
if it was properly designed when new (which sounds doubtful) then cleaning and inhibiting it will help. You could do this yourself for less than £50 and it will help stop things getting worse. the next steps will cost some hundreds of pounds.

Have a look in the loft and see what tanks you have up there; what size, and if there is a large pipe bent over one of them, does water ever overflow out of it.

Look in the tanks and see what there is in the bottom (brown sludge, drowned wildlife)

Look for drain-off points at the lowest parts of the system, possibly on or near the downstairs radiators.

Start saving up for more work and get recommendations. Have a look at work done by people recommended to you, and ask previous customers for their opinion. Your uncle may suggest someone he knows.

Ask yourself if you want to learn some basic plumbing (cutting pipes, making joints, fitting new valves and taps). It is not particularly difficult and basic plumbing will save you a lot of money and get quicker results in future. Your uncle might like showing you how to do things if he doesn't have to lie on his back under sinks or clamber about in lofts.

If you can post some pics this will help.

Thanks, Ive found a drain point, my main concern is that if i start draining water out, its not going to refill, becasue i keep removeing air from this long pipe from near the tank, but it doesent make any difference, i will hav a look into some basic plumbng technics though

oh and to be fair, whoever installed this system was having a laugh, the guy who owned this house, to let before i bought it did it all on the cheap, and it shows the radiators are to small for the rooms, and they are not on straight there is a massive room wich only has a single radiator in it and cant supply the heat enough to get it nice and warm, thats why im dubios about draining the water out myself, im concenred it wont fill back in again

when you have had a look in the loft you will know more.

there should be a feed and expansion tank to keep it topped up with water (unless there is a blockage) unless it is pressurised and sealed.

Until it is cleaned and inhibited it will keep making gas due to corrosion of the radiators

It might also be sucking air in due to poor design. This will make the radiators rust away very quickly.

Thanks, As i dont know what im doing really, and im not going in the loft tonight, Ill probs have a look over the next few days, also as im not a plummer, i will still see what this plummer says (he installed a ch system for a gollegue at work) (that is if he rings me back), I do however really apreciate the advise that you guys have given me thanks very much here is a pic of "the pipe" that i mentioned to bleed, and the pump if anyone is interested http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd198/redviper24/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back