HELP new house to us and heatings gone kaput! Diagnose????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
moved in 1950's house at christmas. Its a baxi bermuda back boiler.

i know it uses gravity fed water for the heating and hotwater. I took 2 rads off to decorate downstairs. I put one, on. I understand the feed pipe is supposed to top up the rads when there is leakage or evap.

First the hot water stopped and the heating (rads) was fine. I put one of the missing rads back on.

Few days later found the heating not working well, various rads would go cold or cool, i can not say it was just upstairs or downstairs. and got cooler and now, hardly anything.

I also discovered the speed control for the pump was messed up, so i bypassed this so it is on about 3/4 power.

I do not know if the rads are being replenished with water, as the tank in the loft doesnt empty at all, even when i drew 2 buckets of water off. The tank has manky rusty coloured fuzz in the water. the rads were a bit black gungy when i took them off.

i dont know if

a) the pump is not slimmed up or is it working right?
b) is there enough water?
c) can i fill the system with water if the regular way is blocked?
d) would an air pocket do this?

ITS COLD AND KNOW THEYD CHARGE ME LOADS FOR CALL OUT. I need to know a procedure to check this out and then go through it. Were all tired moving and them chrimboe, were so stressed.

Thanks,guys.............. x

Rich

Sponsored Links
Call in a service engineer, why do you assume they will charge you loads for a call out, ring around a few and ask what their charges are before you ask them to attend

You seem top have a blocked feed pipe. Not a very difficult repair for a DIYer but you have to cut the pipe and replace with a new one. Search fo that.

Why do you ( and others ) assume that we allcharge loads of money?

I was called at 0053 hrs this morning with a request to go out to a boiler. Instead of rushing out and charging a reasonable rate for that time of the night I just told him wat to do to solve the problem and have the boiler working. I was not paid anything for that! Does that fit in with your preconceived idea of boiler engineers?

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back