Help No water from Hot Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think we have a combi boiler, i turned the three red stopcocks clockwise on the boiler to stop the hot water supply.

Ive gone to turn them on and no water from the hot tap?

Sponsored Links
A picture of the valves/pipes would be useful. Make, model?
Could be you turned the valve off too tight, and it "broke" and stayed stuck off.:sick:

(Or you don't have a combi, and you do have an airlock)

A picture of the valves/pipes would be useful. Make, model?
Could be you turned the valve off too tight, and it "broke" and stayed stuck off.:sick:

(Or you don't have a combi, and you do have an airlock)
Done, i think it might be a airlock as i put something over the cold before (months ago) and the water started to come out of the hot but now i'm having no success just spray everywhere.

Tried turning red cogs all anticlockwise also.

See! Me and @LeeC said gate valves were the future but we get banned from posts!

OP, you 99% don't have a combi boiler but a system boiler on a Y plan.

Bottom valve to the bottom right of the picture may be the cold feed to the cylinder. It may be stuck/broken?

You say hot tap? Is that singular or all of them?

The two above are pretty much redundant and only isolate the 3port valve.

The red one withe the cap and numbers is an auto bypass so leave that alone.

Jon

Sponsored Links
That's a hot water storage cylinder not a combi.
The upper 2 are central heating not tap water. Lower one would have to guess.
Look up "airlock" or "Air Lock".
If you have a mixer tap in the kitchen and are fairly strong-handed, turn the HW tap on, then the Cold, with the middle of the palm of your hand HARD over the end of the tap. Cold should push its way up the HW side to fill the pipe with water. Take your time. When you let go, the HW should run.

Why did you turn the taps off?

And don't leave then right at the very end of the Open end or they'll jam - go right half a turn.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/boiler.100100/#ixzz4oRyzTJpT

Why the rope in there though OP?

It's not that bad yet I'm sure we can help you sort it!

Jon

See! Me and @LeeC
You say hot tap? Is that singular or all of them?
Jon
All of them my mom isn't happy aha

Why the rope in there though OP?

It's not that bad yet I'm sure we can help you sort it!

Jon
Aha :p
That's a hot water storage cylinder not a combi.
The upper 2 are central heating not tap water. Lower one would have to guess.
Look up "airlock" or "Air Lock".
If you have a mixer tap in the kitchen and are fairly strong-handed, turn the HW tap on, then the Cold, with the middle of the palm of your hand HARD over the end of the tap. Cold should push its way up the HW side to fill the pipe with water. Take your time. When you let go, the HW should run.

Why did you turn the taps off?

And don't leave then right at the very end of the Open end or they'll jam - go right half a turn.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/boiler.100100/#ixzz4oRyzTJpT
Ah I have been trying with the two taps upstairs, thanks I will try on the mixer tap downstairs also well tomorrow :).

Thanks for help guys

If you Happen to have H and C washing machine supplies, join them together with a hose and open both taps for 10 seconds.

Gate valves the future? Eh??:censored:(n)(n)
Not unless you get orribly expensive ones.

'Tis worth trying to remove a possible airlock, but my money is on you having snapped the shaft of the valve on the bottom right. If that is the case then you may have to dig in to your (or your mums) pocket for a plumber.
Was that valve easy to turn or was there quite a bit of resistance?

Why did you turn them off?

Was that valve easy to turn or was there quite a bit of resistance?

Why did you turn them off?

Were all easy to turn, turned them off as wanted to try to remove old taps in bath to install mixer taps.
Given up now though especially as hot water is gone, it happened before on two occasions then i had done nothing so might be something other causing, just this time the blocking one tap the cold and opening the hot isn't working.

Yeah i think i may just call a plumber tomorrow as its not turning out as simple as it looked.

If you Happen to have H and C washing machine supplies, join them together with a hose and open both taps for 10 seconds.

Gate valves the future? Eh??:censored:(n)(n)
Not unless you get orribly expensive ones.
Thank you thats a tip i will note :). The tap method didn't work this time despite the times trying but this did, only 20 seconds too.
Cheers(y)

appy to elp :)
The other method's an aquavac on the tap. Sorry I should have remembered!

Do yourself a big favour and get rid of the red handle gate valves, well known for coming apart inside, had this problem more times than I can count over the years something like changing a tap washer turns into a much biger job, Replace them with FULL BORE LEAVER VALVES simple to do for an experienced plumber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back