Help on mould issue. Condensation or damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, my first post so I hope it's in the right section.

I am having a spot of bother with mould, in one bedroom on one wall. Just surrounding the window and frame. It is not happening elsewhere in the property. As you can see in the pictures I attach, the mould is on the side of the bedroom with an exterior wall. Property is 7 years old, in block of purpose built flats. The window is double glazed, with metal frames. The mould started appearing at the start of the year, around winter time. I was not in the property when this was occuring. Can anyone tell me if it is due to condensation or something more problamatic like damp?

Thanks

I hope the pictures work, if not I can try to load them again.
Link to picture gallary

Sponsored Links
You have a mixture of condensation and damp.

Pic 1. shows low level damp and condensation. Repairs - silicone - have been attempted. The skirting opening is possibly due to swollen wood.

Pics 2. & 3. shows more silicone and condensation, & maybe some damp in pic 2.

Pic 3. shows what - a balcony? The exterior ground level appears to be higher than the interior?

Thing is, there's no context for the pics. Perhaps an external pic showing the whole outside corner?

what is that door made of? What country is it in?

You have a mixture of condensation and damp.

Pic 1. shows low level damp and condensation. Repairs - silicone - have been attempted. The skirting opening is possibly due to swollen wood.

Pics 2. & 3. shows more silicone and condensation, & maybe some damp in pic 2.

Pic 3. shows what - a balcony? The exterior ground level appears to be higher than the interior?

Thing is, there's no context for the pics. Perhaps an external pic showing the whole outside corner?

Thank you for the reply. Sorry, I hadn't realised the pictures were so close. I am not at the property today to take some more pictures but here is an old one from a few years ago, long before there was any mould. I am the first owner of the flat, so the silicone would of been there from day one. I think the other windows have this seal also.

Picture 5

So this new picture shows the entire window, and metal frame. Picture 1, 2 and 3 are all internal. Picture 4 is the outside wall of that window. It is the shared walk way to all the flats.

p.s. this is not so sunny UK, where as you can guess, moisture always an issue :LOL:

Sponsored Links
what is that door made of? What country is it in?

it's actually a window which you can now see with the new picture I posted. It's East Anglia. I want to think it's as a result of condensation because I maybe naive in thinking, a relatively new flat shouldn't be affected by damp so soon :confused:

Pic 1. shows a crack running up the inside corner of the plaster board - that crack appears to have a bead of silicone or painters caulk applied.

Pic 2. shows the right hand skirting piece as all the joins would have been at new. The return short piece of skirting on the left has pulled away from the wall and the gap has been siliconed.

Presumably the walkway in the pic has its finished surface set too high - your interior FFL is a step down from the outside surface height.
A very close on site inspection is needed for the interior and the exterior.

Any neighbours on that walkway level, or with that kind of finished walkway surface, are possibly having similar difficulties to you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back