Help on System Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am hoping someone with experience could kindly advise me on a dilemma I find myself in, for which I would be grateful.

I'm a qualified Gas Safe engineer, although only qualified about 6 months ago so a lot of things are still new to me. Over this time I have been working only on combi boiler swaps on the grant schemes.

A family friend has asked if I could change a boiler for them, on visiting the premises to give a quote I found that the boiler is fitted to an Unvented Cylinder. The property is a new build type, about 12 years old. Now the boiler is a Ideal Classic 15HE, and they want this replaced. I've never replaced a system/or traditional boiler before, so had a look around the cylinder to figure out the pipework and setup. What I could not see is a filling loop anywhere, either on the boiler or on the central heating pipework near the Cylinder. The cylinder has an external expansion vessel.

So my questions are, how on earth do I refill the central heating system once I have fit the new boiler?

How difficult is it to fit a System/Traditional boiler as opposed to a combi?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance

Phil

Sponsored Links
Who said it is a sealed system? If It's not there will be a f and e tank in the attic possibly for system.
No tank for cylinder.

Sponsored Links
You need to register for the Combustion Chamber section of the forum... You won't get much useful advice in the open forum.

Based on that first post he'd be brave to do so.

OP the classic he is an heat only boiler so it is either open vented or there is a filling loop and expansion vessel somewhere but that would almost certainly be in the in the airing cupboard

thanks for the responses.i will join the gas section.

i have looked at Ideal Classics instructions, says its for an indirect system. ive looked at Unvented Cylinder and it says its an Indirect Cylinder on label. now as the pipework has a pump on it, central heating pipes, do i get a System Boiler or a Traditional boiler?

Dependent upon which boiler you choose, you will also need to be mindful of permanent live to boiler and pump overrun. All of which are not required on the classic.

They're mad wanting to get rid of a Classic, personally I'd be advising against it as it won't save them any money doing so, but if they are really insistent then it shouldn't be difficult to do. Just make sure you have your flow & return the same way round on the new boiler as the old one. The Baxi Ecoblue Advance 16 Heat would be a good one to go for as it doesn't need a permanent live, is very quiet, and comes with a five year warranty

It sounds like you need to spend some time under employment with a company as there are clearly huge holes in your knowledge, and it'll come back to bite you one day. I hope you've got good public liability and professional indemnity insurance...

Hi IMO if you can't work out a system boiler layout you would be better off not doing the job and risk losing a family friend.
This all day long.
Wait till you are a bit more experienced before tackling this type of job or it could end in expensive tears.

They're mad wanting to get rid of a Classic, personally I'd be advising against it as it won't save them any money doing so, but if they are really insistent then it shouldn't be difficult to do. Just make sure you have your flow & return the same way round on the new boiler as the old one. The Baxi Ecoblue Advance 16 Heat would be a good one to go for as it doesn't need a permanent live, is very quiet, and comes with a five year warranty

It sounds like you need to spend some time under employment with a company as there are clearly huge holes in your knowledge, and it'll come back to bite you one day. I hope you've got good public liability and professional indemnity insurance...

Classic HE was a bit of a lemon though.

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Classic HE was a bit of a lemon though.
Wasn't too bad just the trap was a pain in the hole.
:mrgreen:
Classic was bulletproof though and folk changing to a condenser to "save money" are aff their heid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back