Help! Ongoing mouldy sealant problem in new bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a dilemma here. We had a new bathroom installed just over a year ago and, after a few months, the sealant around the bath started to go mouldy. The bathroom company came back to reseal it and, yet again, the problem's back after a further 3 months.

We have of course been in touch with the bathroom company who tell us that, now the warranty period's over, it will be a £100 call-out to re-do it yet again! Of course this is totally impractical with the continuing problem. We could do it ourselves, but why should we every 3 months or so when we've paid out thousands for a new bathroom?

The sealant is Bond It Premiere Sanitary Silicone Premium Grade Fungal Resistant (25 year guarantee and the “very best” we’ve been assured), which the bathroom company have given us a free tube of, but which we're loath to use again. I must say that the company concerned have been very good in the past.

The bathroom company have told us we cannot use bleach, or anything stronger than washing-up liquid in our bathroom, as anything stronger could ruin the bathroom panels we have throughout, hence our quandary.

We've also rung the sealant company about their "25 year guarantee" and they admitted there are all sorts of get out clauses attached to this.

Can anyone suggest a sealant better than this one which might prevent this problem occurring again, or anything else we can to prevent the problem?

I'd really appreciate any ideas on this.

Many thanks,

Mimi

Sponsored Links
Tell me how you ventilate the bathroom to keep humidity down.

MimiJane,

What a great name. Sounds like an Irish girl I once knew. She was errr...

Anyway, this may sound like the 'bleeding obvious' but do you have ventilation in the bathroom?

Sponsored Links
heee heee heee!

I know what causes mould too!

MimiJane,

What a great name. Sounds like an Irish girl I once knew. She was errr...

Anyway, this may sound like the 'bleeding obvious' but do you have ventilation in the bathroom?

what you on about could a asian name mi mija ne

Roll some toilet roll so you can place on sealant around the bath soak with bleach leave for 10-15 mins then take off and rinse with cold water .Works ok

but
The bathroom company have told us we cannot use bleach, or anything stronger than washing-up liquid in our bathroom

so ventilation is going to be the answer.

same as always

Thanks all,

A modern (and pretty efficient) extractor fan is fitted to the centre of the ceiling and we also leave the window slightly open to try and keep the air circulating. It's a very small bathroom. No idea how we further improve the ventilation.

Using bleach is a definite "no no" we've been told by the company concerned as chances are it would affect the wall panels. Wish we could use bleach, but dare not risk it!

MimiJane (not an Irish/Asian bone in my body I'm afraid!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back