Help, paint is scratching off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, not new to painting but this is the first time things have gone wrong. Went to paint a room for my Mum in her new house. Gave the walls a sand, followed by doors, door frames and skirting, did some filling and painted ceiling - all good so far. Painted all the walls using a well known mixed colour from a large DIY store. I've used this paint a number of times before and liked it because it was one coat. But it became clear it was going to need another coat, it also seemed to be taking a long time to dry. After finishing the room something wasn't right and I realised she had been sold silk paint rather than matt because apparently 'this was the best one' according to the sales assistant. I don't know if l was being impatient as it wasn't properly dry when l left, but you can scratch the paint off and it all looks terrible. I need to rectify this but I'm not sure how. If I use another coat of the same paint it may just carry on doing the same. And if I buy the same colour but matt, it might not then sick over the silk. To make matters worse the waterbased gloss (sanded everything, followed by undercoat/primer) seems to scratch off too. Have l not sanded enough. Should l just give up trying WB gloss over oil based? Again this wasn't dry so am I being impatient? But anyway it looks like l may need to rectify this too. Could the fact that ther house hasn't been lived in for a bit and had no heating on impact this? Although the ceiling has worked out fine. Please advise as l need to sort this. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The paints can take over a week to fully cure.
Help If you left longer before scratching.

Take zinsser bullseye 123. Apply on a kitchen door it needs 7 days to fully cure although most leave a day and get on with the top coat.

Surfaces need to be clean. Yes, it helps to sand but you can sometimes get away with not doing this.

As for scratch test, no paint manufacturer says that's the way to test adhesion.

You don't say what paint. Is it a durable paint with scrub rating? They test that with fine sandpaper in a machine Vs scratching. They measure how much paint is removed after 1000s of rubs.

If you want to get the surface tough, apply something like rocktop over.

If you want a tuffer paint, go get valspar premium but get it colour matched to what you have. That's stuff is brilliant and tuff

Sponsored Links
Valspar Premium?
You may just need to give it longer to cure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back