Help please - air in bath and shower hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am losing the will with this problem.

I had a bathroom refit 6 months ago and went with a grundfos pump to increase the flow to bath and shower, all was working well until we noticed a drop in pressure on the hot over the last month and a gurgling noise on the shower.

To complicate matters we have a shower thermostat valve and bath filler (no taps).

Ive tried back filling from the shower but i am guessing this wont pass the closed shower valve. Also tried putting my thumb over the flow on shower and bath filler.

Short of ripping it all out, any ideas please. Plumber has been paid and wont return calls.....

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
What system do you have, are both the hot and cold being pumped.. have you checked the pump inlets aren't blocked ?

I presume the pump is being use because the it is open vented system I presume, it might be worth having the pump running and at the same time use a garden hose from the outside tap with water running from it into the hot outlet, then do the same with the cold outlet any water will eventually go into the loft tank, which will overflow so don't do it too long. you have an air lock problem which will keep happening, there will be a position in the pipework where it goes up and then down that is where the air lock is and if accessible it need an auto air vent fitted on it or rip it out and start again. He shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. I sympathise with you.

The pipework all looks fine, surrey (or what its called) flange fitted with pipe going up to the loft which i assume is to vent it. The gurging of air is at the highest point which as you would expect is at the top of the shower which is also tiled into the wall.

System is a normal boiler, surrey flange off the tank to the pump and vent. All looks correct looking at the pump installation guides.

Will get a fitting to attach hose to shower head screw and try that, should i switch off pump first to reduce pressure when it comes? Ive looked at pump strainers but not on the outlet side, if i disconnect will it release air?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If your HW cylinder system is fed from a header tank there is a possibility that there is a partial blockage of the outlet from the header tank. As you draw off water, the partial blockage then results in the HW cylinder vent line draining down which then lets air into the feed line to the hot water cylinder.

Plumber's got his money so no longer cares - sums up a lot of cowboy attitudes.

The pipework all looks fine, surrey (or what its called) flange fitted with pipe going up to the loft which i assume is to vent it. The gurging of air is at the highest point which as you would expect is at the top of the shower which is also tiled into the wall.

System is a normal boiler, surrey flange off the tank to the pump and vent. All looks correct looking at the pump installation guides.

Will get a fitting to attach hose to shower head screw and try that, should i switch off pump first to reduce pressure when it comes? Ive looked at pump strainers but not on the outlet side, if i disconnect will it release air?

Many thanks
Try and leave pump running as long as pump strainers are clear and hot and cold water work elsewhere, a hose may clear the air lock, as soon as it clears the pump will take over and you will know. So be ready.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back