Help please - how to heat my conservatory?

Sponsored Links
Well yeah, but maybe new readers will consider what to build.
Who knows, maybe his founds were deep enough and now he's replaced glass with brick walls. Always a good plan to think ahead. Even a good selling point. But if he has never thought about the planet he must surely consider his pocket , what with these ever increasing rises in fuel prices.

What about your carbon footprint?
Apart from it being against Building Regs its downright ridiculous to be trying to heat a conservatory .
A conservatory should be used only when the outside temperatures are suitable.
If you want an extra room to use all year round be sensible and build an extension which is properly insulated.
That way you will be saving the Planet and your wallet.
You will also be a lot more comfortable.

The best are those electric fanned Myson convector heaters with the copper coil inside, heated from the rad circuit. They have instant warm up and only give off heat when you switch on the fan. If you leave the conservatory you can switch off and no heat is being pumped into the room. They take up little space.

Radiators are waste of heat and money and do not heat up properly. UFH is horrendously expensive to heat these rooms as the floors stay hot when you are not in the room.

Sponsored Links
Quite agree underfloor heating is not the way to go.
Reading a previous post someone mentioned trying to heat a conservatory 25m sq and spoke about 200watts per sq metre. This is woefully short unless you want to sit with a fur coat on and a drip at your nose.
First of all I think we need to define exactly what we are talking about.
At what temperature outside do we wish to use the conservatory and what temperature do we want to achieve inside.
The 200watts/m2 might be ok in very mild weather but no use in winter.
I have calculated the heat required for the 25m2 conservatory and since its being used as a room used the same criteria as used in room calculations ie Based on an outdoor temperature of 0degC to achieve an internal temp of 21deg C wait for it.............the heat required is 133,000 Btus/hr.
If you don't believe me Google jungleseeds.com for online calculations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back