Microbore heating systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a three bedroom bungalow with a microbore pumped central heating and hot water system I will be soon fitting a new baxi bermuda back boiler which will be plenty big enough, btu wise, for the requirements of the seven radiators that I have. I wish to fit an extra rad to a conservatory, and also change one of the existing rads for a much larger one the total amount will still be within the capabilities of the boiler but as I have no experiance with micro bore systems would like to know what is the most BTU/HR output I can expect to get from one loop from the manifold and is it limited to only one rad per loop.

Sponsored Links
The capacity of an existing loop of microbore will depend mainly on the size of the pipe (8 or 10mm) and the length of the run from manifold to rad and back. Post this info. and some kind soul may look it up in the flow tables for you, or see if tables are viewable on www.ukcopperboard.co.uk

As for the planned boiler change, do you realise that Building Regs. now require condensing boilers to be fitted, which I think pretty much rules out a new back-boiler?

Is this new boiler you are going to fit a condensing boiler to meet the current regulations?

Are you going to notify the installation to your local Building Control and arrange for them to inspect it?

Tony Glazier

Generally you will not be able to tee into existing rad feed for an additional rad on micro-bore but have seen it done and work. Back boiler can still be fitted as per regs re points system and fact that it could cost you far more money to alter your system to condensing boiler ,also if you live in Scotland new rules don`t come in for another year. And if provided you had ordred the boiler(which no one checks) before april you have till the end of this month to have it fitted with no worries at all........And before the save the planet brigade get going re condensing boilers. What would actually do less harm to the enviroment . 1. Fitting a straight change backboiler with little alteration that will last well over twenty years with very little money spent on repairs during it`s lifetime. or 2. Or in same peroid fit two condensing boilers with all additional pipework req and a couple of gas fires all the replacement parts that super reliable boilers (not) will need . Many of these parts come from countrys with no emission controls on the factorys, then you have all the additional pollution in shipping the components. Even the additional appliances need to be built so there is more pollution in their manufacture. Then all additional journeys to fix those super efficient boilers... so in a twenty year life span what actually does create less emissions. And we still have to see the affect of condensate on the enviroment

Sponsored Links
I do have to say that all three of the just fitted boilers I have been to see during the last three weeks have all been non condensing.

The Polish and Turkish builders are still fitting the cheapest standard boilers just as before.

Even a long CORGI registered Englishman fitted a standard boiler with no room stat and without cleansing the new system. Effect was pump jammed with fine oxides after three days. Water the colour of Watneys!

Tony Glazier

fwiw, BES are now selling Spirovent dirt seperators. I knowwww, doesn't do as well as a proper clean out, but could be fitted cheaper and will gradually catch the crud. The only problem is that seperation is poor if a system cleaner is used.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who sees life carrying on as normal with scant regard for the new rules (whether they are justified or not is another matter) the best saving method is turn the temperature down a tad and put a jumper on, knocks the spots of almost any other method. And what's all the worry about, there are a lot of outdoor heated swimming pools, and many are heated using electricity because the heaters are cheaper to buy. :rolleyes:

A pool company I do some work for tells customers the cost of heating the pool will be about the same as the house ( with gas ).

They dont advise the use of condensing boilers although the savings would be about 30% for that application. For the sake of £300 for an insulated pool cover only a very few customers opt for it although the cost would be recovered three times over in a season.

The customers pay £30,000 for their pool and waste £600 p.a. on fuel from a standard boiler.

They mostly run their pools at 29*C which is much too hot for me to swim in for more than a few minutes. I recall in the Seychelles the ocean temperature was usually between 21*C and 23*C and that felt a little cool for me, I like about 25-26*C.

Tony Glazier

Thank you all that have taken the trouble to reply, the microbore pipe size is 8mm but I am a bit concerned regarding the comments about the back boiler. I am having an extension built on the back which needed building regs, I was asked by the council the SEDBUK rating and position of the back boiler flue outlet, this my architect supplied with name and model of the back boiler along with the SEDBUK rating. This back boiler is still being marketed by Baxi. My plans were passed for building regs on the 24th April 05. including the back boiler which is clearly stated on the plans. The building work is well underway and would expect that the boiler will be the last thing to be fitted but I will make some more enquires regarding the comments that I have received. thank you all.

You have not explained why you want to change the boiler? Is there really any need to?

If you are going to have another back boiler the flue liner will almost certainly need to be changed unless the old one will last another 15 years.

In any case they are expensive compared with normal boilers and the efficiency much lower because they are not condensing.!

Tony Glazier

Cost depends on what fire front fitted. back boiler is 80% efficent condensing boiler when it is running at full efficeincy is 91% so savings are not as vast as people like to make out.

Cant for the life of me see anyone checking the install just tot them points up and enjoy the reliability of a back boiler

on a different note a fully pumped system with a new water cylinder with more cores would make a massive difference to your costs in heating dhw

fill your boots

if the usa and china aint in the coyote ( koyoto) what is the point in any other nation even thinking of global pollution

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back