My central heating is rubbish, can anyone help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have a problem with my central heating, rooms just never seem to get nice and warm, never have since i moved in 5 years ago, some rads get hot while others stay cold. All rads have TVR's fitted and the entire system is 14 years old, gravity fed with copper tank etc.

Tried all sorts of things to fix but have narrowed it down to 3 things in order of cost -

TVR's need replacing, if a rad is cold and on it's highest setting if I twist the TVR past the highest setting (just slightly) the rad gets hot again so i think the TVR valves are past their best.

Rads are too small for the room - all the rads are single panel and after looking at a couple of BTU calculators for the room sizes e.g. a room size of 2.7m x 2.8m requires a BTU of approx 3600 which would need a double convector of 450 x 800mm but the current rad is only pushing out around half that.

Boiler not up to the job - the boiler is 14 years old and has no controls whatsoever, when the heating is on it just fires up every few minutes in short bursts.

I want to try the cheapest options first like changing the TVR's and rads as this won't be wasted money but I can't understand why the rads were never big enough to begin with.

I've used a couple of BTU calculators online with hugely varying results, one calculator gives a BTU of 1800 which would be just right for the current rad in my example while another calculator gives a BTU of 3600.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
You can download a good heat loss calculator from kermi, I used it for my training portfolio...HERE

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back