Help please on removing part of chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help - need to do this on a shoe string tho!

I live in a 1920's 2up 2down terraced brick built house with an entry 1 side and solid to neighbours the other side.

I want to remove the chimney breast from my kitchen only. the house has a chimney stack that meets next doors chimney stack over the entry.

in the kitchen the fireplace is in the middle of the wall goes up slightly then turns 45degrees left, then 45degrees right to go vertical (where it joins the front room chimney breast).

I am thinking i can remove all the breast in the kitchen to just below 1st floor level, support 1 edge with a steel to take the front edge of the stack with 2 smaller steel coming of it to support the sides of the stack. i have double solid brick walls of which i will take the inner layer out to slot the steel into for support then obviously brick up around the steels

any comments or suggestions on this would be of interest please.

dan

Sponsored Links
Look at gallow brackets. Id also put some kind of breathable cap on top of the chimney pot (stopping rain coming into the breast) and maybe adding a vent in the first floor if you're closing the one end off (allowing the breast to breath)

I'm no builder but I did a similiar thing ten years ago and I've had no problems. I took the chimney breast out up to the loft, fixed a piece of chquer plate to the rafters and bricked down to that. Because we use the fireplace in the living room and they conjoin like yours do I had it flued and backfilled.
If you don't use the front room fire then it's not a problem but anything going up one could potentially come down the other so it needs sealing properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back