Help please with new floor advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
I live in a bungalow that originally had wooden floors. These were replaced by a previous owner but I want to restore the suspended floor. I am not sure whether to go with block and beam or to use wooden joists and T&G.
At any rate, I will need to build sleeper walls. It may be that the old footings are still visible which will help, but if I have to build new support sleeper walls, how deep should the footings be and to ensure good air circulation, how far can I stretch each brick along the course to provide air gaps, without compromising the wall stabillity. Can I leave a third of the brick length as gap.
If I use concrete beams, I will only have to build 2 walls. Can these be 4 inch, or should they be 8 inch.
All ideas will be welcome.
Regards,
Volvomanx

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Sorry, a touch of brainache.
All the floors were replaced with pored concrete.
All the radiator pipes are within and also a couple of iron gas pipes.
Regards,
Volvomanx

OK so are you proposing to stick your new suspended floor on top of your existing conc floors in which case all your doors/windows will be out and why would you want to do that anyway?

Or are you proposing to remove the existing concrete floor and replace with a suspended floor, again begs the question why?

Sorry for the questions but its a bit mystifying.

Sponsored Links
Or are you proposing to remove the existing concrete floor and replace with a suspended floor, again begs the question why?

Sorry for the questions but its a bit mystifying.

Agree!

Why on Gods gracious earth are you replacing a decent floor with a potential troublesome inferior jobbie!!??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back