Help please with the age of a door / glass.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Forum,

I have a door that I was told use to be a larder / pantry cupboard door, that has been re-used at a later stage to make another door for a linen cupboard. The larger door behind is an older door, which must have been made by a drunken carpenter as it and the frame are so irregular.

I can see that the door which originally measured 63cm by 160cm has had additional timbers added all-round and has a glass top which is pattered (i believe reed effect) but smooth on reverse.

Have added a some pictures, but trying to work out age as 2 local conservation officers from council believe it to be an internal door from the 19th century.

I know that the door is not in its original location, as its been made to fit a new space, but the surround around the door is made from MDF, but I'm being told that I need to confirm that both the door and the surround have no historic interest and need to get a historical survey done.

I know that MDF is modern i.e. c1960's, but spent hours trying to find details to show what door is. The council wont be happy until I'm forced to spend vast some on historical surveys, but with every listed buildings application being refused for alterations or like for like repairs, I need to build a case against my local council.

Thanks for any help.
Door.JPG
Door spliced.JPG
Glass pattern - reed?.JPG

Sponsored Links
Any chance of a view, or views of the hinges?? and any other ironmongery fitted to the doors??

The above information can be at times give a good idea of age??

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back