New Door - Wooden or Composite?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an original 1920's front door surround made from timber with leaded/stained glass side and top lights. The door was replaced fairly recently and it's of a good quality, although it was evidently fitted by a blind man. In any case, with it being so draughty and because it's been hacked and butchered that many times in its lifetime, I'm looking to replace it.

Don't want a uPVC door - I hate them. Composite doors look OK and I like the thermal qualities of them. The sticking point is the leaded glass which we would like to retain and have encpsulated into new DG units. Because of the dimensions of the uPVC frame needed, we would lose 50mm on each edge of the glass which would make the design of the glass look odd and incongruous. I know we can get reproductions of the glass that look OKish, but it's not ideal.

So, the obvious answer seems to be getting the whole door frame redone in timber. My worry with doing this is that it will be as, if not more, expensive that the composite option and that it will still be draughty, it will warp and all the other things generally associated with timber door frames.

Can anyone give me some realistic and impartial advice??

Sponsored Links
The door frame never warps because it is anchored to the brickwork, it's the timber door that expands and contracts (3-5mm) during the seasons and warps! There is a fantastic draughtexcluder that is set into a timber frame that'll help the problem. Composite doors look OK but all that complex locking system will cost a bomb when it wears out.

I've just ripped out my UPVC door and frame and put all wood back in (with the draughtstrip).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back