Help Pls Floor vibrates when neighbours walk by & NOISE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Hope someone can help - I'm at my wits end and beginning to hate my neighbours (though I know it's not their fault).

I'm in a Victorian terraced house.

The breakfast room on ground floor adjoins my neighbours breakfast room.

There are wooden floorboards which for some reason have a dip in them on one side of the floor.

Everytime my neighbour walks by I hear every footstep, really loudly and my floor vibrates with their movements. I can even hear their blooming dog - though it sounds more like a horse!!

This is making me really miserable. I had a builder round who said it is a "honeycomb" floor. I've only managed to get up one small bit of floorboard on the opposite side to the dip and there are bricks propping up the joist here.

Please can anyone tell me how I can stop the noise and vibrations as I can't stand it any more. Even when I'm upstairs I can hear their footsteps in that room as though there were people in my own house!

Many thx.

Sponsored Links
i've not come across this myself - but find it astonishing.

i'm not sure what the dip has to do with the sound.

the trouble is i think without more info people are not really sure on the cause (what's different in your house to cause the noise) and therefore how to sort.

i'm not sure what the builder meant by honeycomb either.

for me either the sound is being caused by u sharing the joists ie there is no gap between the joists inside the party wall between u (this from my experience would be quite unusual)

or

there are holes in the party wall below the floor boards and this is causing the sound to amplify in the void under your floor boards (this too unusual).

i guess u don't want to take up more floor boards (near the party wall) to try to find out. so i can only think of buying a pack of the thk laminate floor underlay (4mm thk, the sort of compacted wood type – see B and Q) put this down and tape it with gaffer tape and see if it helps. if it does then laminate the floor.

if it doesn't then u need either some vibration/sound insulation material between floorboard and joist or between the joists depending upon where the sound is coming from.

Hi, I have a similar but larger scale problem with noise and its accompanying vibration and was wondering if your has been solved yet and if so, what action did you take?

Many thanks,
Mo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back