Neighbours noise!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok if I’m being unfair please tell me. I live in a semidetached neighbours share wall with me and staircase on each side. They shut their front door, my doors vibrate, wall clicks. They go up and down their stairs, bang bang bang. Slamming doors, sometimes my concrete floor vibrates, dog barking, door slams makes life miserable! Is this normal in an 80s house? Anything I can do?

Sponsored Links
Yep, normal.
Some people are lucky to have quiet neighbours, others not much so.
When I moved in my house, next door had 2 toddlers and for the following 15 years (and a bit more) they were very noisy.
It reminded me of when I was a kid and with my 2 siblings we used to make the house shake.
Brought me joy.
2 solutions here:
1. Keep moving until you find "suitable" neighbours
2. Buy a detached house with enough land around it to avoid hearing your neighbours.

Inconsiderate neighbours can cause difficulties whatever the age and condition of the house (isn't everything granite in Aberdeen?). Ask them politely and if it continues, and you can't stand it, move to a detached property, easier said than done, I know, but I doubt what you describe would be classed as a statutory noise nuisance by the Council.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back