Soundproof floor/walls from electric garage door (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbours garage is underneath my flat - a couple of years ago they had an electric rolling garage door installed. I don’t mind but the noise is a nuisance. I can’t control the internal part of their garage ie insulation soundproofing etc -
Therefore - I’m seeking advice on what measures I can take in the upstairs (internal) walls/floors of my flat to reduce noise and vibrations each time they open their garage door. Any help appreciated :)
CE69E765-134C-4B18-8B1F-AF6FB7020236.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You can take up the floor and lay dense mineral wool batts between the joists. This will muffle airborne sound.

They are heavier and more expensive than loft insulation because noise absorption is proportional to weight. You have to block all gaps tightly as noise will get through them. It is fairly easy to fit as it will squash a bit.

This will also block draughts and give some thermal insulation.

You can finish it with a heavy felt carpet underlay.

I doubt you can do much about vibration travelling through the wall.

Thank you so much - the noise travels from one end of the flat to another - any reduction would be fab … thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back