Spray concrete instead of suspended floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A section of my kitchen is part of the integral garage, so precious people used a bit of the garage then had a suspended floor installed.

When I’m in the garage looking at the stud wall which has a door to the kitchen, I can remove some plasterboard and insulation and see the suspended floor, the real floor is concrete as it’s the old garage door

My question is, is it possible that concrete could be sprayed in the void, which will make the floor non suspended?

Probably a stupid idea but it’s where the washing machine is it vibrates a little and with a concrete floor it should be perfect.

I’m hoping something like this is a done thing because the alternative is to leave as is, or remove some kitchen units which isn’t really an option

Sponsored Links
It seems like a very large amount of work and resources to stop a washing machine vibrating a little.
Could you put the washing machine on some kind of mat, or/and shutter and build a concrete plinth for the washing machine?

It seems like a very large amount of work and resources to stop a washing machine vibrating a little.
Could you put the washing machine on some kind of mat, or/and shutter and build a concrete plinth for the washing machine?
It’s not just the washing machine, I failed to say when you walk on it you know it’s a suspended floor as it seems a bit squishy if that makes sense.

I must admit I recently found in the new washing machine packet a couple of 3M stickers which is basically like really course sandpiper and it’s made a huge difference, but it’s still in my mind that if concrete could be sprayed directly below it would be like a normal solid floor. Thinking of it though there is some slabs of black insulation like polerstyrene which should just pull out but I’ve never tried.

I suppose if someone could spray a concrete it’ll just go around the wood below and under the laminated flooring and should be good, whether it’ll go in flat or not I’m not sure

Where would all the water in the wet concrete go?
How would you know that all voids were filled?
How many holes are needed to ensure that all areas are full of concrete?

Try a few 1" thick neoprene slabs under the corners of the washing machine,

Sponsored Links
Where would all the water in the wet concrete go?
How would you know that all voids were filled?
How many holes are needed to ensure that all areas are full of concrete?

Try a few 1" thick neoprene slabs under the corners of the washing machine,
To be honest I’ve no idea on those answers, I did assume I’d be able to remove the plasterboard and bit of wool insulation would expose enough for someone to come in and do their magic.

I guess it’s down to 2 options, leave it as is or take all the units out to do it properly but that’ll be a nightmare with the granite worktops and units

I’ll have a look to see if the current insulation slab is underneath the washing machine but I’d suspect it still has some give to it and it’ll still bounce?

It’s not just the washing machine, I failed to say when you walk on it you know it’s a suspended floor as it seems a bit squishy if that makes sense.

Do you mean like chipboard that has got damp and is now fit only for the skip?

No is the short answer

there are damp arrangement details which need to be addressed when changing from suspended to solid

Do you mean like chipboard that has got damp and is now fit only for the skip?
It’s more of a case the suspended floor has a small gap between the wooden frame and the original garage concrete floor as it’s not 100% flat

If I wedged something underneath I doubt it would stay when the washing machine is spinning as it’s fastest rate.

I know when I get the rest of the garage converted at some point I won’t be doing the cheap way of suspended floors for sure :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back