Replacing suspended ground floor wooden floor with concrete suspended floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Advice needed please.

I have a 3 bed semi detached house.
It has a suspended wooden floor with a crawl space underneath. No insulation so is cold.
The washing machine in the kitchen shakes itself to bits, I have screwed 18mm ply underneath the washing machine and fridge freezer which has helped a bit.
Ideally would like a solid floor all down stairs, don't like the noise of wooden floors.
Is it possible to replace it with a suspended concreate floor, would this be comparable to a solid concrete floor. Can this be retro fitted to a 1970s property.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How big is the void? Bigger than about 600mm and you will eventually run into settlement problems as compressing that much hardcore will likely end with it dropping. I guess you could use a solid void filler such as Fillmaster from Jablite, that would also avoid exerting any pressure on the inner skin if that was an issue.

Hi the void is about a meter, could I use concrete block and concrete joists as in new construction? Don't want to have any dropping!

would the floor be solid with jablite would there be deflection / bounce. Would is support weight well. Would it be quieter than a suspended wooden floor?

And does building control have to sign off the work?

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As above.

OP, do you have any idea of how much your proposition could cost you? For what? Are there any exceptional circumstances?

A suspended concrete floor is not worth thinking about
in a residence.

Retro Block & Beam are likewise simply not on.

Whats wrong with carpet outside the kitchen?

Search on diynot and google for various tips for taking vibration out of appliances. There are many.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back