Best option for wooden flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there ,
I'm building an extension to my lounge which will eventially end up being part solid concrete (the extension bit) and part wooden suspended floor (the existing part of teh room).

Id like to put a solid wooden floor down like oak but as there is a mix of concrete and suspended sub floor I'm unsure what to do.

Should I install a floating floor over teh lot or lift teh old floor boards nailing down the new floor over the beams and gluing over the concrete. Any thougts gratefully appreciated!

Joe

Sponsored Links
Joejr said:
Id like to put a solid wooden floor down like oak but as there is a mix of concrete and suspended sub floor I'm unsure what to do.
Agree with M Sharp about the wood-engineered versus solid floor. Conservatories are prone to have rapid temperature changes and wood-engineered is much more stable to handle that (solids might cup or buckle).
With two different types of underfloors rule of thumb is to make sure you create one type of underfloor (A) for concrete underfloor you need a different type of underlayment than with wood/sheet underfloor; B) different types of underfloor will create different 'climates' under the wooden floor). Simplest thing to do is install hardboard sheets over everything and use foam underlayment for sound-insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back