insulating garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I do sports massage and wok from home. we a re buying a new house that has a single skin detatched garage with concrete slab floor. I am going to stud, insulate, plasterboard walls and ceilings.

The side door to garage is level wiith the garage floor.

I am taking out the metal garage door and replacing with double doors with glass in.

My only concern is that because i plan on insulating the floor (using timber screwed in to floor, celotex slabs and loft boards, folllowed by laminate floor), there will be a step up when you go in to the garage. This means the door will have to open out, but more so it isnt flush.

Is the only way to 'brick up' before installing the door? i would rather an alternative option where i dont need to brick up

Any idea?

Thank you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can't have a step at a threshold, more so if this is a business premises. The opening will need to be raised.

You'd need to use bricks or equivalent to close the opening up to the dpc anyway, then fill in the floor void with a dpc if the garage didn't have one, then insulation and timber . So a door can open in if wanted

But as this will be a business, don't you need to be DDA compliant?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back