Front door hard to open with key.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there,

https://youtube.com/shorts/7dmaG8GH6fs?feature=share

Been trying to find a solution to my door, it's a slam shut Doorstop brand door, was fine for 6 months now when its slammed shut its incredibly hard to open, the key cant be turned the latches on the side wont release from the frame. I've tried graphite on the Ultron lock, no good.

Had the company look at it and they were useless "they get stuck use some oil on the frame latches" then sprayed it with a wd40 type spray.

I've found a knack but it's still very hard, I pull the door towards me with my left hand and turn the key with the right, that does work sometimes but when you've just paid a grand for a door it should bloody work.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Matt.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
does it move freely when the door is open?

I don't know what sort of youtube link you've used but I can't enlarge it.

Hi Matt,

I fit Door stop doors and it sounds like whoever came to look at it doesn’t really know what they was looking at.

It sounds like your latch plate needs loosening off slightly which will make the key easier to turn.

If you open up the door and have a look at the lock side of the frame where the latch locates. There will be 2 screws or Allen keys which will loosen off the latch plate. Moving towards the outside of the frame will tighten and moving it in towards the inside of the frame will loosen it.

if this doesn’t help then have a look at there the hooks locate into the frame and loosen off these plates too. hopefully that makes sense.

Cheers thanks for that I'll have a go, can this happen under colder weather with contraction or something? I just brought some silicone spray aswell but I'll try the latch plate first thanks.

Sponsored Links
Door may need toe and heeling, afraid the video shows nothing to help diagnose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back