front door locked shut

ds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
Can anyone help with suggestions on how to open my upvc front door as the multipoint point lock has broken and the door is shut closed.

Basically the old style GU multipoint lock finally gave in. I've taken the handles off as the spindle which goes through the door is not gripping the locking mechanism because the metal edges have broken off the lock. This means the handles are not releasing the latch as they have not grip.

The key barrel seems to be fine, but as the door is shut i cant do anything even though ive brought a new lock.

Hope this makes sense.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Try using a large flat screwdriver to turn whats left of gear.

Failing that you want a thin, fat flexible bit of metal (a decent scraper may work) you need to bend it into the frame above one of the hook bolts or mushroom cams and tap it up or down (depending which way they open) with a hammer .

Thanks,

i'll try the screwdriver, but not sure if i have anything as wide. As for the second idea unfortunately i cant get to the side of the frame as the upvc door edge is covering it.

I was trying to put the spindle in and wedge a screw driver underneath it giving it some grip and turning using pliers, but the mechanism is so stiff it hardly moves.

You have to bend the scraper in behind and round.

I have air bag pump wedges which help to open a bit of a gap but I have done it without the wedges before

Sponsored Links
Get a straight lever/lever spindle and try

hi,

thanks for the suggestion.

originally the door lock was it was a split spindle, but when it started playing up i swapped it out for a single spindle and after two weeks it broke!!

I opened one yesterday, assuming its opening in get a chisel and scraper start from the bottom and work your way up prising apart until you find the hook, check if it shoots up or down and hit it, hopefully will open

hi,

many thanks to y'all.. after faffing about for ages finally got a locksmith out.
He used a tool (like a short spade!!) to wedge the door back a bit and knocked down the locking hooks.
Took all of 2 mins and £65 for the pleasure.

I after watching him I think i know what you guys were trying to suggest know and hopefully am that much wiser for the next time.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back