Help Plumbing job gone wrong?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
someone please help me, we have moved into a terraced house, with 2 double bedrooms and a dowstair loo (located after the kitchen in the back extention of the traditional terraced) we wanted to convert one of the double bedrooms to have an en suite, so we got a plumber friend to install it for us, all is good but we have realised after paying him that the waste pipe coming ffrom the toilet goes half way down the back wall of the house and joins a kind of bucket chaped catch thing, which the guttering around the house also joins into then they all go down one drain pipe! which results in everytime we flush the loo upstairs, the water and waste shoots out of the bucket shaped thing and all over our back window and garden. we are sure this should no happen?
we have a macerator installed but are pretty sure this does not enable the waste to just join a normal drain pipe and should be taken straight into the ground and the waste drains??

is this correct? someone help!

Sponsored Links
yes your right you can't connect a sani to a hopper on your guttering.
get the cowboy back or your money.

The waste pipe coming from the toilet goes half way down the back wall of the house and joins a kind of bucket shaped catch thing, which the guttering around the house also joins

Can you post some pics :?:

Does not sound promising though. :(

sorry dont actually have any pics, it isnt a bucket as such, its a large square shaped collection container almost, that has 2 other pipes flowing into it, then they all filter down one piece of pipe to the drains

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a hopper which should not have soil waste attached.

Threaten him with BCO if he does not rectify by plumbing into a stack. :rolleyes:

i take it your house is about 1960's in which hoppers can accept grey water waste (basin / bath) but not sewerage.

not in houses that old they didn't gutters went in the main drainage.

Not in my part of the country they didn't.

Shouldn't say that :oops: there's probably plenty that did.

Where I come from most never had main drains until the 50s

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back