HELP - Radiator leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me please. One of my radiators has just fallen off the wall and is now leaking water from the pipe that feeds it - I have switched the water supply off to the house, but this doesn't seem to have help. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jennie

Sponsored Links
Hi Jennie,

you should have isolating valves at the boiler for feeding the rads. Then you'll have to get whatever container you can to collect the water - remember the water will be contaminated so don't leave lying around and if you use pans like my wife has in the past - ensue they are thoroughly cleaned afterwards.

The boiler is a potterton prima 40f.

Not sure where the isolating valve is. There are two pipes leading from the top of the boiler and one has what looks like a tap without the top on, is that it?

Jennie

Sponsored Links
Your boiler has no isolating valves.

How bad is it leaking?

If its leaking on the pipe before the radiator valve then you are going to have to drain the central heating to below the level of the leak.

Have you got any tools and a hose pipe?

Thanks for all your tips, it sounds like we are doing everything that you have posted anyway. We have truned off the thermastat, shut off the rads, and capturing all the water that is leaking.

It is the piece of pipe that is before that rad valve that has split. We have switched off the mains water via the lever under the sink. Do we still need to do this once the water stops leking?

We have tried to switch this back on once already and this caused the water to leak from the pipe again!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Any more help will be much apprieciated.

Tony (Jennie's Partner)

We need to know if you have a pressurised system. If there is a pressure gauge and an orange expansion vessel the its pressurised and all you need to do is catch the water.

If its an open vented system then tie up the ball valve on the feed and exopansion little tank. ( I think that the Prima could be fitted on a sealed or OV system ).

In any case I think that you need professional help to sort out the problems!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back