Stopping radiator water supply? HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People!

OK, as usual novice alert!

A radiator downstairs has a faulty isolation valve attached to the feed pipe (it is dripping water). I have a new one, but am unsure how to turn off the water supply through this pipe to the radiator, so that I can remove faulty valve and replace. I have found 2 red wheels in the airing cupboard and turning these off shuts down the cold and hot water to the taps. Do I just run the taps and this stops the flow to the radiators too? I ask this as I did so and turned the faulty valve back on and it still leaked.....not sure if this is just the water left in the pipe as it is a slow leak....
Any help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
You will need to drain your heating system down.

In the loft you will find a small cold water cistern, probably next to a bigger one where the two pipes you mentioned come from.
The small cistern will have a ball valve in it. On the pipe that feeds the ball valve you may find a shut off valve. Close this. If there isn't one you can use a piece of string to tie up the ball valve so that it remains closed.
Turn all your heating/hot water controls off.
On or near a downstairs rad find a drain off. Attach a hose to this running outside. Open the drain off and all the CH water will drain out. When this is done you can now change the valve.
You will then have to refill the system by releasing the ball valve/opening shut off (close the drain off first!), adding inhibitor, and then bleed all the radiators and pump etc. When you have refilled and bled all the rads turn your system back on and fire it up. You will probably have to bleed a bit more over the next day or two, do this with the system off.

If in doubt ask ;)

the above will do the job apart from one thing:
just remove the isolation valve and replace it with a straight connector; isolation valves do not belong in a heating system

Cheers Breesey!

I have bought an Arctic Freeze spray which is supposed to wrap around the pip and freeze the water supply so you dont need to shut anything off.

DO you know whether this is worth using/trying?!

Sponsored Links
the above will do the job apart from one thing:
just remove the isolation valve and replace it with a straight connector; isolation valves do not belong in a heating system

Indeed. I said there may be one, but to remove it may be a step too far for the OP at this stage. :)

Edit: Forget I said that :oops:

cheers guys....well it's the isolation valve which is faulty, so I need to remove it....sounds as though it may be better to but a straight connector on then rather than a replacement isolation valve?

Will maybe try this freeze kit on the pipe and see if this cuts the water supply.....only concern is it says it "will not freeze moving water" ...is water in a radiator pipe classes as moving water??!

Freezing is quick and convenient but has a significant downside: the worktime is theoretical and if it starts to give, you have a flood!
Due to this factor and the risk that a diy-er may come across a delay, I would advise against it.

Sorry Bengasman I just re-read the OP and realised what you were saying in your first reply :rolleyes: . Went to an Xmas party last night and the concentration isn't what it ought to be this morning!! :)
You are absolutely right, of course!

Went to an Xmas party last night and the concentration isn't what it ought to be this morning!! :)

i must have xmas parties every week of the year then. have difficulty reading any sunday morning with one eye closed and one eye staring into nothing.
sunday mornings last til about dusk, don't they?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Went to an Xmas party last night and the concentration isn't what it ought to be this morning!! :)

i must have xmas parties every week of the year then. have difficulty reading any sunday morning with one eye closed and one eye staring into nothing.
sunday mornings last til about dusk, don't they?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

True, same here. What made the difference today was the fact that it was a free bar so I am beyond my usual threshold!! :cry:
Still, after last year's one at the same place I was man down for two days after - carnage! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back