Stop hot water supply from cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a hot water cylinder and cold water cistern in the loft and need to turn off the hot water supply so I can change a faulty tap in the bathroom.

I’ve located the 22m pipe that goes into the bottom of the cylinder from the cold water cistern but there is no visible gate valve on the pipe to stop the supply. Attached is a photo of the pipe. Can the cold feed still be stopped without having to drain the cold water cistern?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the silver valve is on the cold feed to the cylinder ,you can use that ,or just fit a bung in the loft tanks outlet to that pipe. Is there a gate valve on the loft tank outlet ,if so use it.

Yes the silver valve is on the cold feed but there doesn’t seem to be any way to turn it?

If you can't turn the shaft a quarter turn,easily ,with a small spanner across the two flats ,then Leave it alone. You could of course turn off the water supply to the loft tank ( or tie up its ball valve ) and run bath taps to drain the loft tank. If the cold to the bath comes from the tank ,run the cold first until no more water comes out the cold tap ,then run all the hot taps in the property.This will waste less stored hot water.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back