Help Seriously messed up radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thanks for taking the time to read this.

I have 1 radiator working out of 8 in the house.

I have had a new boiler installed as thought the old one was not up to the job plus it packed in so think i can discount that.

So far i have drained the hole system and found small partials. So today i have gone round all on the radiators and injected cleaning fluid, system is now on and will see how that goes over night.

I suspected that the radiators might be blocked so i have taken one of the wall and flushed it in the back garden the flow seemed to be good to me ( will start doing the rest tomorrow. At the same time i removed the valves either side and changed them, on checking the old one they seemed to be okay ( could blow through them ).

On 4 of the radiators one of the pipes connected feels hot but the other feels cold , what has confused me as well is that it is not always what i would think it the supply valve ( the one you can adjust to get more or less heat, or it can be the manual valve you have to use a spanner to close) hope that makes sense.

Plus on the radiator that does work the heat seems to come in from the manual valve side and out of the temp regulated valve even thought the flow arrow on the valve is against this ??

On the other radiators the inlet and outlet pipe work are both cold.

Any suggestions as to a way forward would be great, should i be thinking of getting a power flush, when i have spoken to central heating people about it them seem to avoid the job.

When I bleed the radiators there seems to be a goo pressure behind the valve.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Why was the system not power flushed when the new boiler was fitted.

Sponsored Links
OP, no proper installer is going to agree to fit a new boiler on a dirty system! Why did yours?

You are risking considerable damage to your new boiler with a dirty system.

I would recommend a proper heating engineer should come and examine and suggest a way forward.

Tony

The the system was installed prior to me moving in, one of the clauses in the agreement was the central heating system only allowed one day to challenge any issues with it, and since I was working away for 3 weeks. It was to late, as the wife informed them everything was okay :( .

I do believe it was a DIY job from the guy before but can't believe he never had it working as he lived in the house with his family.But can believe he did a half arsed job.

I have found 3 radiators with the suppy going in the wrong direction for the flow valve so will look to change for bi directional valves 2morrow.

What sort of system /boiler do you have.
microbore pipe? = blockage usually in manifold
standard bore fully pumped system = not unusual for air seperators to block up, old pump had it, pump valves had it and not propely open , motorised valve not fully opening, old anti gravity valve missed and not removed. Flow and returns mixed up during change over

Well thanks for the replys ,

The boiler is a Worcester greenstar 30 si combi Mk iv ( brand new)

So today I have changed out all the temp valves , flushed all the radiators and have confirmed they are clean.

So after that I then built the system back up and have proven if I flow the inlets to each radiator the all heat up after a few mins, on checking the water out it is dirty but there does not seem to be a great deal of particles ?

I have not found a way of confirming the returns lines yet , not sure but could the problem be on this side of the system ??

Think I will hv to find a heating engineer who knows what he is doing.

Any suggestions welcomed thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back