Help sizing joist for garden building flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm new here and am looking for advice on the size of timber to use for a flat roof on a garden timber frame building I'm planning to build.

The shed I'm planning:
  1. The dimensions are 5.6m (front/back) x 4m (sides) x 2.45m (height) to stay within permitted development.
  2. 4in concrete base.
  3. The walls will be made from 2x4in timber with studs at 400mm. These will be constructed (outside to inside) cladding, battens, membrane, OSB3 11mm sheeting, stud work (insulation within studs), vapour control layer, plasterboard.
  4. The the roof span between the front and back walls for the joists will be 3.8m. I plan to build the roof with the joists spaced at 400mm, cover the roof with 18mm T&G OSB3 and then EPDM. I need help with the size of the timber I should use for the roof joists.
I have been searching the net for information and looked as some span tables - these seem to suggest 2x8in C24 - this seems too big to me, or it it?

Any help and advice appreciated.

Thanks

Shaz

Sponsored Links
Mine is about the same size and that's what I used. Roof is totally solid. You could probably get away with less if you really wanted, maybe stick with 2x8 but at 600 centres if you feel it is overkill.

When you say flat, are you putting a slope on it?

Mine is about the same size and that's what I used. Roof is totally solid. You could probably get away with less if you really wanted, maybe stick with 2x8 but at 600 centres if you feel it is overkill.

Great, that's reassuring. Thanks.

When you say flat, are you putting a slope on it?

Yes, there is a slope. As I'm using EPDM the drop does not need to be as big as other materials.

Sponsored Links
2x8 does sound massive but at least this way you can put a patio on top ;)

You'll thank the span tables when there's 4" of snow sitting on top of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back