Help with RSJ size for flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people I am planning on rebuilding the flat roof of my garage as the current roof is rotten.

The size is 7.2m x 5.2m, and the steel beam will go across the middle giving a span of 3.6m from beam to wall. using an online span table i found I believe I require 8x2 c24 timber joists at 400mm centres.

My question is what size beam will I need to hold these joist?

I spoke to a local steel yard without going into much detail, who said 200mm high by 135mm wide light weight 25kg per meter. Would something like that do the job?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
What did you go for in the end - did you find a solution for the RSJ? I have a 5.5m span which needs 9x3 timbers at 400cc, so looking to do something similar with an RSJ to drop my span down to 2.75m (and go for 5x2 or 6x2s)

Sponsored Links
Slight post hijack- have a look at jj i beams or similar engineered joists. Depending on how many you need they might be cheaper than the lifting solution you'll need to get 25kg/m steel on top of your building

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back