Help! Thin floorboards.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After moving in and ripping up the carpets I discovered my 1930's built house has 14mm floorboards which are looking worse for wear, so I decided to replace them. However they seem to fit snugly between joist and wall and new flooring is at least 18mm thick. Do I; 1) Shave the ends of new floorboards to 14mm. 2) Chip away at the wall to create a bigger gap. 3) Lay the new floorboards on top of the old?
Any other advice or suggestions would be welcome. :confused:

Sponsored Links
heelloooo r t b and welcome remove skirting board remove old floor lay floor refit renew skirting as required.
have you checked in more than one area the board may just be very worn[possibly sanded]
thats if i have read this correctly ;)

Thanks for the reply big-all.
The floorboards are definitely 14mm all over and the snug fit is between the wall and joists after removing the skirting boards. Looks like the wall was finished down to the floorboards after they'd been laid, Might be just plaster but the walls are built solidly so it could be cement & plaster.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
best stop the boards 10mm from the walls [this will be coverd by the skirting]so dampness cannot rot the ends or stain the wood

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back