Help to merge new laminate planks into old without damaging?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I’m in the process of laying additional laminate flooring into existing laminate, i’m having to take out lengths that were previously cut and replace with new planks to allow me to extend into another area.
The big problem i’m having is when knocking new boards in place between 2 existing it’s very difficult and need a hard hammer blow to inch the plank into place, by the time it is’ finally in place the edge that has taken the blows is cracked and damaged. I’m using a block of hardward with a cloth between it and the plank to absorb the impact but it’s still getting damaged.

Are there any good techniques to stop this happening ? – i was considering masking taping the end of the plank as well to help protect it but this still may not be enough.

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
I don't know the particular laminate you have but you can get tapping blocks specifically for laminate. Some laminates have their own fitting kits - you should not be using a bodgit system to fit the flooring.

You're right - masking tape won't be enough to protect the boards.

In my very limited experience of re-laying some laminate flooring, the biggest problem was dust and grit in the grooves. Thoroughly cleaning the tongues and grooves with a stiff brush and a vacuum cleaner helped.

Plan 'B' was to rub some candle grease over the tongues to lubricate them, but I never needed to resort to that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back