Dormer damaged during new window installation - what is the fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - I'm looking for advice as to what trade can help me

this may be a forlorn hope and forgive the detail. I have just had three large replacement (6ft x 4 ft) uPVC windows installed in an existing dormer (three rooms, two of them bathrooms- it is a long flat-roof dormer built in the 70s). The result is far colder rooms, cold interior walls and gales blowing through cracks (new and old) in the interior and exterior walls of the rooms e.g. the gap where the soil pipe enters the interior wall. The old secondary glazing was ugly but the rooms were at least 2 degrees warmer before the replacements went in.

Who can assess for me why there is now cold air being sucked into the three rooms concerned? A structural engineer? I would like to claim on the installer's insurance and work out how to get back some warmth (freezing cold bathrooms are not fun).

Also, can anyone suggest a solution (thermal wallrock? fill the stud walls with insulation?) I am worried about the dormer construction. I'm sure the 100 year-old A frames aren't going anywhere! but perhaps there is hidden damage in the more modern construction.

thanks!
Mashie

details
--------
The dormer was built in 1970 between original A frame beams in a stables built in 1900. In layers from the outside in it looks like tiles laid vertically on wood, with an interior plywood wall that has had plasterboard attached followed by a skim. I presume there is a wooden framework of some sort between the inner and outer wooden walls but this is as much as I can see by looking at the window edge. There is some tar felt barrier involved at some points, perhaps this has been damaged.

I think there must be some damage to the dormer frame or studding somewhere that I cannot see. I've filled all the leaks I can find which is helping somewhat but many of these gaps were always there - the difference is that cold air is being drawn into the gaps in the stud walls (I think).

Downstairs they broke a breeze block in half by silly use of a crowbar so I am supposing they were also fierce and clumsy with the dormer. There was a lot of vertical cracking in the plaster skim on the window wall. A vertical gap half an inch wide and 18 inches long was created between the front wall of the dormer and each of the side stud walls (I have filled this gap myself). The drafts are more from old cracks in the two side stud walls than from the window wall (where I have filled the new cracks).

The installers seem amenable to a claim on their insurance - although it has taken weeks they have been good enough to make good their work and reinstall the windows which helped (they hadn't filled gaps around the window at all). But I don't know what the damage is.

Sponsored Links
As Foxhole asked^^^?
Was it a large national window company too?

My 1st question would be have they used expanding foam around the window? Alot of company's dont use foam as the fitters are subbys on a fixed price and dont want to wait around for foam to go off.
Unfortunately there is no requirement for foam in the regulations so you may not be able to get them to do anything but I would say more drafts than before is down to poor fitting and they should come back.

They cant be held accountable for existing holes and cracks but they should make good any that they have caused.

There is no facility to claim on their insurance, that's only in place and kicks in should they cease trading, while still trading unfortunately its between you and them, FENSA wouldn't help either unless its a building regs issue, this sounds more like a workmanship issue to be fair, replacement windows in dormers usually means gaps although you've said they've been filled, have they used expanding foam/rockwool?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, everyone. They are not FENSA registered but the cost included an inspection to get the FENSA certificate - however as someone said, FENSA doesn't cover bad installation. They have now reinstalled using expanding foam. I think that in crowbarring out the old frame (which was nailed in) they have broken something in the wall allowing air to get in -- perhaps how they opened up big cracks in the corners of the walls. And somehow that lets cold air in so existing interior cracks that never leaked before now leak and why rooms that used to be cosy are now icy (right now 6 degrees). Air is getting into the wall somehow from outside.

I've asked them about insurance for damage they have done to the house while doing the installation. They may not have understood that but they seemed to think they had it.

:( I already lost £1800 deposit paid to a company that went bust - deposit insurance didn't work there as it took too long for them to let us know they were in receivership. Both small, local suppliers. I am actually contemplating going back to Safestyle for the next lot of windows. We had to watch this lot like hawks as well (once we realised they were cutting corners) Safestyle and these both did considerable damage to other parts of the house (standing on furniture and breaking it, opening curtains with hands covered in caulk, filthy handprints everywhere) but Safestyle didn't make my house freezing cold.

So - how do I find out what they have broken in the wall / dormer, any ideas?

If your seroius about going legal you may want to email the guy who runs this site http://forum.expertexpert.com/viewforum.php?f=9 or even start by posting on the site.
He is a court appointed expert in fenestration matters, Im not sure what he charges to come out and do a report but I would guess its not cheap. Might be worth trying to find someone local 1st but it would be tricky to find anyone good that specializes in windows.

Its a shame they are were not Fensa registered as there is a new thing about complaints. Fensa will appoint an independent inspector and basically who ever is in the wrong has to pay for the call out. It may be worth calling or emailing Fensa to see if they could recommend a local expert that you could contact.

thank you Gazman. I wasn't really thinking of going legal so much as getting a professional in who could work out the cause and how to fix it. Might be worth a word with him as an expert.

I'm genuinely worried about my house - structurally and also that it is now freezing cold upstairs. So anyone competent to assess the cause would help. My concern is that I know it really is much colder - but nobody else except the family could know that. There are cracks (old and new) but there were no draughts before the work was done.

Try to post some pics here of the inside and outsides. We may be able to spot something that could help.

Trouble is no ones gonna come at least i don't think they would and start opening holes up 'Holmes on homes' style around your windows and dormers in the hope of finding something, not rubbishing what your saying about it being cold but trying to find contractor B to come and fix contractor A's work could nigh on impossible, we do it but its under the IBG

Last edited:
thanks - I may do but i've been investigating it for days and I can't see anything visible except quite a few new cracks that demonstrate the walls were bashed about - just feel it! I can show the construction which may help. Next challenge will be to see whether I can upload photos...

Click on 'upload a file' under the reply box then browse file, using a mobile takes a minute or so while it downloads but its a simple process

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back