Fitting dormer windows, keeping external reveals weatherproof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I have a question on how to install aluminum windows into wooden dormer framework. My current plan is to slate (Marley ones) the front of the dormers, but I’m wondering how best to keep the external reveals of the windows weather tight?

Here’s an approximate model of the window sitting in the dormer framing, showing the vertical slates.

From what I’ve researched so far I would need to fit a window tray, something like this example:
and do something like the overlapping soakers up the side as he has in that video.

Presumably, the window frame would sit within the lead work, with the lead work turned back on to the front of the window frame? So I'd need to factor that into the window size.

Are there any other options or am I on the right track?

I will be using k-rend on other parts of the house. I did wonder if I could use a window tray, but render the external reveals, from the window frame to the run of slates using that? As you can probably tell, I’ve not done this before, and I’m not a builder. What could possibly go wrong? :)

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Tim

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back