Lead Cheeked Dormer - Window Detail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a few pointers, I'm building a large dormer as part of a loft conversion, it's slate roof and lead front and sides.

My house is Victorian and has all of the windows fitted from the inside behind the outer course of bricks. Ie the window frames are wider than the openings and but up against the brick.

The dormer is designed to match, with the window going in from inside into a rebate, rather than fitted from the outside into a hole bigger than the window.

Hopefully that makes sense! There are a couple of reasons for this, apart from it being consistent with what's there - fitting from the outside would mean more scaffolding as the window is too big to lift with ladders and the glazing starts 500mm above finished floor height, so the window needs to avoid an internal sill. If there's a sill inside then I can't open the lower 800mm of the window due to Building Regs, without the sill it's just the first 300mm that will not open. Which is the difference between being able to design a nice looking window that opens and not.

So, I could do with understanding the usual lead detailing around the window opening where the Window is recessed 100mm and the frame is rebated to take the window from the inside?

I'm working through the design with my roofing team and I've hit a small snag on the lead sizes they need to order. They want to wrap the lead 3" into a 5" recess. I don't know if they're assuming the window is going in flush with the face and from the outside, so will cover the lead, or whether they wrap the face lead over, then there's a second piece of lead over the top to cover the recess.

They're coming sometime this week to finalise the detail, but I'd like to understand how this design would normally be detailed so I can get my head around it sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back