Want to get windows replaced properly this time....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many years ago the original steel framed windows on my property (built in the early 50s) were replaced with aluminium framed double glazed windows - This was a very long time ago but I remember it like it was yesterday. The aluminium windows were fitted by what I now know to be cowboys and were initially a complete disaster. We had problems with dampness getting through to the interior walls etc. I think the window frames were extremely badly fitted into the existing walls and didn't have enough penetration into the walls (reveals ? ) - They just ripped out the old frames, fitted new into the void, pressed the frames outwards and only applied mastic between the new window frames and the external surround. We took advice from a Structural Engineer and then had to get another contractor in to try to improve the situation. He chipped away some of the external plaster all the way around the frames and replastered to form a better seal between the external plasterwork and the frames. This did improve the situation, but it still has never been a good job.

I'm now going to replace the windows again and am very anxious to get the job done properly this time. Is there anything in particular that I need to look out for on an older property like this ? - Do I need to insist on the installers removing part of the external reveal to ensure a proper weatherproof seal ? Are there any guidelines on say minimum required coverage of the window frames by external plasterwork ? - I would be very grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back