Warped Window Cill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

At present I have Everest aluminium double glazing installed with a hardwood surround, I guess it was fitted around 20 years ago just before I moved in.

I have now noticed that the external cill of one of the windows has become badly warped which is trapping rainwater against the frame. I presume the best solution would be to replace the external window cill only, can this be done or would I need a complete new frame too.

I don't know how the cill is fixed in place but when I open one of the windows I can see screws at the bottom of the aluminium frame possibly going into the cill but can't be certain.

I'm tempted to remove these screws to see if the external cill can then be removed but I would like advice from the experts first.

Best Regards

Sponsored Links
You can cut the cill back to the frame but is the back of the frame okay?

If not, you will have to take out the aluminium frame out by removing the beading on the inside then you should see bracket with screws unless your is behind the glass unit.

Please be careful as they are very heavy

Thanks for the prompt reply :)

The frame seems to be OK it's just that the cill is the problem. I've noticed that the cill is in 3 sections due to the shape of the window so I should be able to undo the screws that are visible when I open one of the windows (it's only a short section of about 40cm) and then see if I can pull the external cill out.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back