HELP! Toilet connection leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bottom feed water connection to cistern sprung a leak from the joint between thread and isolation valve.
I thought it was due to a failed thread on the plastic 1/2” shank, so I replaced with a brass one…. but still can’t get to seal up.

Please see the pics.

Ive tried various washers, fibre & rubber in the 1/2” side of isolation valve but still no joy.
It’s not leaking up and out through the threads but weeping through the collar where I’m holding it up by in the photo.

is it a washer problem? Surely that’s what should be providing the seal?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies, I’ll replace the isolation valve and see if that works.

Unscrewing the valve, I can’t see how this could easily be done… does the top stem come out the body completely? Not sure how it’d reseal if I got it out.

Sponsored Links
It’s was a £2.50 Mickey Mouse one

Any links to a suitable alternative? Might have to cut pipe if any longer than 5cm.

Service valve is what you mean.
There we go with the professor of correctness.
There was a 20 pages thread about an electric transformer which was supposed to be called a power supply.
Then, apart from a few electricians, the rest of the world calls them transformers.
Same as isolating valves, pardon me, service valves.

There we go with the professor of correctness.
There was a 20 pages thread about an electric transformer which was supposed to be called a power supply.
Then, apart from a few electricians, the rest of the world calls them transformers.
Same as isolating valves, pardon me, service valves.
So we let the guy order the wrong thing then which wont fit and that`s alright by you. :mad:

I wonder how many isolating valves have been sold instead of service valves.
Come on man, be real.
Anyone who touches plumbing knows at least how a fitting should look like, otherwise why attempting a plumbing fix?
Then if ordering online, pictures are there and if buying from a shop you can see what you're buying live.
Besides, I actually meant to say isolating valve, just not the cheap ones like the one in op picture.
This one, which is a full bore isolating valve:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/full-bore-isolating-valve-15mm/46860?_requestid=231544#_=p

I wonder how many isolating valves have been sold instead of service valves.
Come on man, be real.
Anyone who touches plumbing knows at least how a fitting should look like, otherwise why attempting a plumbing fix?
Then if ordering online, pictures are there and if buying from a shop you can see what you're buying live.
Besides, I actually meant to say isolating valve, just not the cheap ones like the one in op picture.
This one, which is a full bore isolating valve:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/full-bore-isolating-valve-15mm/46860?_requestid=231544#_=p
Well I dont know about RM7 but you are confusing me with the link to an isolating valve which they dont need.
As to the rest, well I could gentlly rip it and stay in the real world but I wont.

Well I dont know about RM7 but you are confusing me with the link to an isolating valve which they dont need.
As to the rest, well I could gentlly rip it and stay in the real world but I wont.
What do you mean they don't need an isolating valve?
Even I know one is required and I'm no plumber.
Edit: just seen that he's already got a service valve there.
I thought he had an isolating valve.
Now, where are my glasses :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Back