Toilet water connection leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Had bathroom refitted about a year ago (not by me, got local plumber in to do job).
Have noticed a few very slight leaks starting to develop around a some of the joints on the pipe work.

Is it worth splitting and attempting to reseal each joint? I’m assume a copper olive has been used in the compression fitting as there is a green build up around the connections.

Is copper the best material to use? Or should I replace with brass or something else?

Also on the threaded connection to the cistern, what are the best washers to use? Fibre or Rubber?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it’s not just running down the pipe? Try tightening the joint 1st (if it’s this).

I’m pretty sure it’s not running down the pipe, on drying the weeping joint it looks to be coming from within.
Just don’t want to tear into it and find I make it worse but also not keen on leaving long term in case it gives up big time when I’m at work.

Copper olive is fine, if remaking the join a smear of LS-X around the olive works wonders. All the usual culprits stock it, Wickes, TS, SFix etc

Sponsored Links
Copper olives are softer than brass so would leave as however I see somebody has tried to seal the threads rather than let the olive do its job on one joint.

Yeah, the PTFE tape is my bad I’m afraid. That was the first one to leak, could get olive off so gave the tape a go and it sealed up OK.

Thanks for advice regarding LS-X, I’ll pick some up.

You Could also use jet blue paste, that’s what I use on all compression fittings, good luck pal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back