Help!!! Upvc door with low threshold leaking in water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've bought a new house and i have a upvc door fitted with a low threshold and every time it rains its leaking through the inside. Anyone knows what to do. Ive poured water on the door and it seem like its only leaking from underneath. I had a quick look at the rubber that slots in under the door and seems ok. Does anyone know where i can find this seal from also there doesn't appear to be any drain holes in the threshold im not sure if its meant to have it. Thanks.
20160310_115355.jpg
20160310_115410.jpg

Attachments

• 20160310_115410.jpg
    20160310_115410.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 2,406
Sponsored Links
You would need to find out the make of the door to get that gasket.
Is the external ground level flush with the threshold? It hard to tell from that angle photo

How can i find out the make of the door? Yes the threshold is level with the ground. It seems like the water runs over the door weather bar strip and under the door somehow passing past the door seal underneath. Both the seal on the door and threshold look fine.

Sponsored Links
I will take some better pics of the threshold tomorrow.

Ive taken more photos. Can anyone see whats wrong with this?
20160331_170953.jpg
20160331_170942.jpg
20160331_170920.jpg

If i drop the door down from the hinge will this help stop the leak?

Possibly
Can you get the people who fitted it to come back, Is it still under guarantee?

Drainage looks to be the issue

Is that a pvc sill underneath the Ali threshold? If so looks like the gap between the Ali and the sill has been sealed. This is where the water drains.

If it's not a pvc sill underneath, the Ali threshold might be base drain, again it's all been sealed up.

Try to locate the drainage holes, if it's not draining, the threshold will fill up and seep inside

The house was built around 1900.
I cant see pvc sill under the ali threshold unless its buried into the ground.
I think the ali threshold sits on top of the concrete ground. There isnt any drain holes on the ali strips, it should run off away from the house but somehow its passing the seal and get some water on the quarry tiles.
Where the flipper type rubber is on the threshold theres small gaps on either side is this normal?
No guarantee with the door as it was already in when i bought the house.

I reckon the door is sat on a stub sill, you can see the cement line where it's been patched in.
Can you pull that trim off at the bottom? Then get a pallet knife between the Ali threshold and sill, need to remove the silicone, you might then see some water come out

I don't think it has a cill under it. I don't think there is any drainage built in either and I don't think that threshold was designed to have any.
I think there are 2 main problems here although there could still be problems with the door too.

1. external ground level is too high. Water is able to pool outside the threshold and if the wind is blowing towards the door it has nowhere else to go.
2. I expect that there is no DPC behind that external floor/step moisture is probably soaking right through under the door like a sponge.

To be honest you could try a dozen different thing here before you work out the cause/causes. But if it was my door one of the first thins I would do is cut out a section of that step tight to the door and fit something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drain-Cha...431188?hash=item5424aae054:g:z9IAAOSwRLZUAgh5

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi i dont think there isnt a sill under the threshold. The outside has been raised wheelchair ramp leading to the door. Ive poured water on the front with a plastic bottle and it starts leaking in the middle of the door. I think the water runs down the door onto the rain/ weather bar at the bottom of the door and drips off on the black bit of the threshold.
I was thinking if i got a longer weather bar the water might drip off further past the threshold and onto the concrete ramp.
Could that work? If not can i buy a new threshold if so where from as b&q and wickes dont sell them.
Noticed my front door which is the same as the back door and its the same story there too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back