HELP: Utility Room - washing machine

no luck with proper pics - but the attached pic, image two of those coming from my house (looks like the water from the house routes into it) and the long middle one flowing down the street.

Attachments

• ppic_base_02.jpg
    ppic_base_02.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
@ Harry Bloomfield - think I'll ask the plumber that, but looks like all water from the house, including waste (can't see any other route out, but then i'm no expert)

no luck with proper pics - but the attached pic, image two of those coming from my house (looks like the water from the house routes into it) and the long middle one flowing down the street.

So pour water down your sinks, washbasins and flush toilets, whilst someone watches for the flow. Pour water down rainwater gulleys and see where that goes..

Tried that it all joins together and flows into hole (just outside the sink in my pic), for toilet waste tested it and soil pipe ends up in the same hole (a bit like the attached) - can hear water coming down. Then the only place i can imagine it going is that manhole, but can't lift it myself to see. Think i'll ask the plumber tomorrow to lift it and test again.

Unless there's a hidden route somewhere, i can't imagine there's anywhere else it would go.

Attachments

• 88146362.jpg
    88146362.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
for toilet waste tested it and soil pipe ends up in the same hole (a bit like the attached) - can hear water coming down.

That is the toilet and the pipe which continue up through the roof, is the vent pipe. Nothing to do with rain water from the roof.

Hmm.. did mention i have no clue on this? was trying to show how all the pipes seem to connect to the one area. But leave it with me, lets see if i can get the plumber to check and see if he can spot what is going where.

Regarding the water supply to the new site for the washing machine.
There should be no problem with doing this inside the house from your present sink position. If the water supply to your sink comes down the wall, (the hot one at least will probably come down the wall in that area assuming your hot tank is upstairs as usual), then the plumber can tee off both pipes at ceiling level and run them through the adjoining wall, above door height, then drop them down the wall in the utility room to a position suitable for the washing machine.
The electrician will do something similar with the electric cable(s) or maybe be able to spur off a socket in one of the upstairs rooms if one is available.

If the plumber is able to discharge the washing machine into the outside downspout he will have to ensure it is fitted in such a manner as to prevent any water flowing from the downspout back into the washing machine outlet. He will also have to have some sort of water trap to prevent smells from the drains being able to filter into the washing machine waste pipe.

Whatever you decide to do I would advise against using the 'builder', (substitute the words "possible cowboy" if you wish), to do any work as from your brief description he sounds as though he would do as he wishes, not what the law decrees.

Get a Plumber in who knows what they are doing, it seems pretty obvious your 'Builder' cant or wont do the job for whatever reason.

Modern washing machines are cold fill only, so you'll only need a cold supply, this should be fairly easy to run from the sink position next door. Suitable lagging may suffice to prevent it from freezing, but that also depends on construction of the utility room, and how cold it gets in the winter! Electricity supply can be taken from any suitable point, needs an Electrician to sort. Drainage, where doe the kitchen sink currently drain to? If the rainwater drain isn't suitable for grey water, there may be other options. Some pics of utility room, inside and out may help us tell you more.

So, had a plumber check and another builder (i have some other work that needs doing before baby arrives)

@conny - thanks - you've pretty much covered what the plumber said. The builder who was talking about freezing pipes.. sent a quote with T&Cs that fit two A4 pages.. and basically stated he'd be liable for nothing.. think i'll give him a wide birth..
@Hugh Jaleak - thanks, i think after a bit of thought it was very obvious this builder (and a few others) didn't want to 'fiddle' with what he considered beneath him and wanted the big job only, which they'd charge a hefty amount for....

The plumber advised it was just as easy to fit hot as it would to fit the cold water, so that if i ever wanted hot water, pipe is already there (all other builders have only mentioned cold, as if hot would be too much effort). He also advised that with a bit of manoevering he could put the waste water back into the area that all the other water is going. It would mean the pipe would be angled in lower than the others so it sloped enough, but to be honest, it seems like the neatest and best possible solution. (He did mention its legally possible for the waste water to go into the manhole, where all the water is gathering). I've asked him to quote what he'd charge, as i'm almost tempted to get him to do the plumbing and then get the builder to skim/plaster walls and extend the electrical point, at least this way i'd know that the plumbing is done properly.

The builder - i basically asked him to quote for doing it exactly as the plumber had said and see what comes back, he seemed fine with it and didn't try to discourage with 'other ways' to do it.. let's see..

Thank you all for your help and guidance, has helped me make sure i've asked the right questions and make sure that i involve the right people/tradesman!

Fitting a hot water supply isn't so much about effort, if you're having hot put into the room, you need to use it, (fit a sink or something?). If the hot is connected inside the house but the pipe is capped off at the other end, you have what is termed as a 'Dead Leg' of pipework, where the water can stagnate. This is neither desirable or permitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back