Help!...Water Pump may need to be replaced

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
After hearing a loud noise when the central heating was on we called a plumber to have a look. He located the problem to probably be with the water pump but was unable to confirm as it was under the floor. After we opened up the floor i had a look at the water pump. Its a SMC Commodore 130-45, what looks to have gone for certain is the condenser which is burnt and blown as their is a split on the side. But i'm not sure if the rest of the pump still works... Does anyone know where i can get a replacement condenser from? or if not what water pump should be used to replace the commodore? From what i have found out the pump it is old, 1985ish so i don't think they make it anymore.

any advice would be gratefully appreciated...We have been without central heating since Saturday. :(

Many Thanks
Hish

Sponsored Links
Does the capacitor have its value marked on the side?

If so, just get a replacement (e.g. from Maplin, or RS).

Otherwise you'll have to guess at the value and hope for the best.

If you can get at the spindle to spin the pump then you test it by removing the capacitor (in case it's failed and shorted) and starting it manually.

With this pump being so old I would change the whole unit.

Can't remember the size of these, so you may need spacers either side if it is not the standard 130mm.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice. RS have condensers but my condenser does not have any writing on it with any measurements as such or tollerance levels. All it says is 2.9 then a line underneath then 440. e.g (2.9/440) does anyone know what this means?

i have been able to pick up a new pump 130 size which should hopefully fit...but if i can find a replacement capacitor it would be great.

many thanks
hish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back