Help with an apartment door lock

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I live in an apartment complex with some terrible roommates. They have repeatedly broken into my room in the apartment, I believe using a credit card. The door locks are very cheap, and I would like to replace with a deadbolt, however, the lease does not allow that. Is there any cheap and damage free way to keep this from happening? Also, any tips for securing the outward swinging door from the inside would help as well.

Sponsored Links
Can your lock be double locked do that it can't be slipped with a plastic card, not sure what your US locks are like

this is a UK website, and the kind of locks and latches used in your country are very different.

You could photograph all three views of your knobset and ask locally if it can be swapped for a key-operated, anti-thrust version without damaging or affecting the door.

I appreciate your replies. I understand this is a UK website, and I thought I'd give it a try and see if anyone had an easy method. I'll head over to the local hardware store and ask them about it.

Sponsored Links
Josh, I recommend a proper deadlock. This depends on your lease agreement and landlord. Are you within your rights to upgrade the lock? You could argue that the landlord will benefit from your upgrade, but he or she will need a copy of your new key.

Many US hardware stores don't sell deadlocks that are genuinely high security, despite their marketing claims. Avoid Kwikset and big box store brands like the plague! Since you're in the US, you should be able to find Mul-T-Lock and Medeco, both of whose product ranges should include a deadlock with genuine security. There's been reports of Medeco being breached in the past, so either look for the latest Medeco deadlock or choose Mul-T-Lock. Neither are cheap, of course.

If you owned the apartment and money was no object, then you can source an Abloy Protec2 deadlock or Evva MCS deadlock via (Washington-based) Security Snobs. These will be very expensive, but there are no known attempts at picking them that have ever succeeded.

Back in the real world :) how about a door knob alarm?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back