UPVC door locking problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there. I had a look at some old threads but didn't see any that match my problem locking an external upvc door.
The trouble is if you shut the door, lift the handle up to engage all of the bolts/ hooks/ sliding bits; then you try to turn the key it just won't turn. If you try this with the door open the key turns easily and the deadbolt comes out. I tried taking off the metal plate where the key operated bolt goes into and it was the same. I put some plasticene in that area and the key operated bolt made no impression in it so it seems the deadbolt key mechanism isn't allowed to operate when the door is closed.
Does this sound familiar to anybody?
Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
So it looks like the deadbolt won't engage its slot, sounds like the door has dropped, either wind the door up a couple of mm on the hinges OR lower the striker plate down half the width of the screw hole

Just about every uPVC locking issue posted here is this.
Suggest you look a bit harder.

Sponsored Links
I finally got around to having a good look at the door. Taking one of the plates off the second door that the hook goes into when you lift the door handle up seemed to allow me to lock the door. Then I could see the doors weren't close enough for the hook to engage in this plate properly. Playing with the allen screws in the hinges allowed me to move the doors close enough together for everything to function normally and now the door is locked!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back