help with architrave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have a storeroom upstairs in the hallway which im changing the traves on. it has one head and 2 legs. it goes from the floor up to celing. in order to close the gap on the head and celing im using a 8 cm high head. but the legs are 6cm high. the reason im not using the 8 cm on the legs is becasue 1. i forgot (i know stupid really). 2 upon lookin at the 8cm i noticed it must have been dual faced as the supposed to be flat is not unlike on the ones which are 6cm. now im thinking can these still be put up using a 45 degree cut?? what about another angle cut??? any other type join. sorry if not very clear this is all new to me.ps when i mean high i mean if it was the leg on the door from left to right.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
your architraves will still work using a 45 degree cut, however you will need to cut the long points off head so it runs in line with the legs. The best way to do these is to cut the legs by measuring to the short points and pin them on. Next cut the head by measuring the short points then hold in position and then mark where the long points need cut. The head can then be fixed.

phew thanks for confirming that for me. just another question what is short point and long point that you mentioned. also i might screw these in because i always seem to split the wood any tips how to prevent this using the nailing technique??

Sponsored Links
the dual faced 8cm wide "architrave" is actually meant to be used as skirting board. you will end up with a gap when you cut off the "long point" on this board after mitreing. if you're painting you can just fill this i suppose. have you checked that the pattern matches the sides though? this will look bad on the mitre if not a prefect match. it is normal to use the same architrave allround. i suppose you want to avoid a small dirt trap?

you should be able to nail it without splitting if you use small enough nail/pins and place them correctly (not too near the end or sides). with an architrave you would normally just tack it to the door lining.
predrilling with a small drill bit (just the architrave not the lining) will stop splitting. others swear by cutting the points off the nails so they punch their way through.

another easier choice is to use gripfill or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back